This article is helpful for those who are confused about the difference between food grade and medical grade silicone. Learn more about how each product differs in quality, application, and functionality after choosing XHF to be the silicone product manufacturer.
What is silicone?
Silicone is a polymer derived from the oil and gas industry. Silicone is widely used in products because it is non-toxic and flexible. Silicones also have high heat and chemical resistance.
Difference between Food grade and medical grade silicone
Medical grade silicone is more durable and more resistant to environmental factors. It’s also hypoallergenic, making it a great option for those with sensitive skin. On the other hand, food-grade silicone is cheaper and can be used in food and beverages. The following lists the differences between them:
Different in nature
- Performance of food-grade silica gel: Inorganic polymer colloid material formed by polycondensation of silicic acid.
- Characteristics of medical silica gel: It is a biological material widely used in cosmetic surgery.
- Characteristics of food-grade silicone: non-toxic, odorless, transparent; soft and elastic; cold and high-temperature resistance;
- Medical silicone features:
(1) Solid medical silicone rubber can replace bone or cartilage as tissue filler or scaffold material so that it can be made into artificial joints and artificial tendons and repair the defects of limb joints and tendons.
(2) Foam medical silicone rubber can replace human adipose tissue to repair facial subcutaneous tissue defects such as facial muscle atrophy.
Different application areas
- Food-grade silicone application: widely used in coffee pots, water heaters, kettles, frying pans, gas appliances, other mechanical products, machinery, electrical appliances, and other industries.
- Application fields of medical silicone: including human implantation, corrosive substance transmission, high-temperature air, and monomer transmission in plastic manufacturing.
Different applications of silicone at XHF
- Make durable forming gaskets, packaging materials for electronic parts, and maintenance materials for automotive electronic parts.
- For baby products, mother and baby products, baby bottles, and bottle protectors.
- It is used to produce kitchen products, kitchen utensils, and related auxiliary kitchen utensils.
It is used for medical device accessories, such as making conductive silicone, medical silicone, foam silicone, molding silicone, etc. It is very suitable for use in the medical industry because of its colorless, odorless, and non-toxic properties.